Do you have fantasies about the kind of home you want to live in someday? Maybe it’s a comfy condo decorated in a beach theme or an isolated home on a hilltop with a retro theme. It might seem far off, but actually you can have a bit of your dream right now, where you live today, without moving.
Although it would be nice to make some steps toward making your new home a reality, you’ll live happier right now if you work to create your own kind of paradise wherever you live.
Try these 5 tips to help enjoy a better quality of life in the here-and-now:
1. Accept where you’re living. Whether you’re in a one-bedroom apartment or your cousin’s basement for now, you’re calling it home. This is your space today. Tell yourself that you’re okay living where you live because it’s simply a stepping stone that will lead you to the place you want to eventually be.
2. Learn to love the home you have. Find specific aspects of your space that bring you joy and contentment. Maybe it’s the way the sun streams in the east window of the kitchen in the mornings. Or perhaps you enjoy the open layout between the kitchen, dining, and living room areas. Notice and take full advantage of what you do like about your home.
3. Set the mood. Wanna lift your spirits and energy level when you walk in the door? If so, decorate with brighter colored textiles in furniture, upholstery, and curtains. Place splashes of vivid art on the walls. If you prefer a calm and tranquil tone them use calmer colors like sage greens, beige, and mocha for a more serene atmosphere.
No matter where you live, you can set the mood you want most by painting your walls and using evocative colors.
4. Consider options for your comfort. Do you want different furniture pieces to make your space fit you better or be more comfortable? Maybe you need a more efficient desk to sit at when you’re working at home. Perhaps different lighting fixtures would help.
The key to creating your fav space is to set up each room exactly how you want it. This can be done on a budget, too. You don’t have to invest a fortune to create the look and feel that you desire. Consignment shops and thrift stores can be great sources for inexpensive items for your new look.
5. Check out design websites, apps, and books for décor ideas. Look for inspiration such as furniture arrangement, carefully placed knickknacks, wall colors, and use of fabrics to obtain the look and feel you want. Recognize that regardless of the size and location of your home, there are countless ways to alter it to suit your tastes and introduce the qualities you want.
With just a few steps and a fresh perspective, you can have your own kind of paradise no matter where you live.