There’s no reason to be upset if you can’t afford a week in the Bahamas. You can find plenty to do in your own home town. It’s called a “staycation” and is a wonderful way to enjoy a vacation on your home turf and sleep in your own bed. You might even enjoy a better vacation, since you’re saving so much money on travel, lodging, and high-priced snacks. Instead, invest your vacation money on entertainment, food and fun.
Avoid the stress of traveling, sleeping in a different bed, and overcrowded tourist attractions.
Enjoy your vacation in your own town with these ideas:
1. Visit a local museum or art gallery. Most people go out of town to visit museums. Now is the right time to check out your local offerings. If they aren’t open, check out these these virtual museums.
2. Spend a day at the zoo. Bring a picnic lunch. Read up about the different animals before you visit the zoo so you’ll have a better understanding and appreciation of the animals your are visiting at the zoo.
3. Try a thought-provoking documentary. Stay at home and watch a documentary on travel, health, finance or any topic that interests you. Invite over a few friends and ask them to bring their favorite snacks.
4. Rent a boat. Rent a speedboat or sailboat for the day. If you don’t want to drive the boat yourself you can hire a boat with a skipper. Bring sunglasses and plenty of refreshments.
5. Check out a drive-in concert. Get out for an evening in your car and enjoy a drive-in concert if there is one near. If not, see if your favorite band is doing a Livestream or check out Stageit.com for new acts.
6. Pack a picnic. Whether it’s at the park or next to a lake, a picnic provides a relaxing, enjoyable time. Pack your favorite foods and bring your favorite people. A bottle of wine or a six-pack of beer for a magical afternoon.
7. Work on your tennis or golf game. You’ve always said you’d be great at tennis (or golf) if you just had the time to practice. Now you have the time. Consider taking a few lessons and concentrate on improving your game.
8. Spend the day at the beach or pool. If you’re lucky enough to live near a lake or the ocean, a day at the beach is a good way to spend the day. Soak up the sun and get exercise playing volleyball, Frisbee, paddle ball and swimming. If you aren’t near a beach then try the local pool. Save money by bringing your own snacks and drinks. Don’t forget sunglasses, goggles, a swimming cap, suntan lotion and some magazines.
9. Go for a long bike ride. Get your bike out of the shed, add some air to the tires and go for a long ride. Or rent an electric bike. Check out bike paths and popular routes online.
10. Read a book or magazine. It can be hard to find time to read when you always seem to be busy with work. Take advantage of your free time and relax with a good book or magazine. If you don’t have a library card now is the time to get one.
11. Have a fancy dinner delivered to your home. Order a delicious meal using Door Dash, Uber Eats or Grubhub which work in many cities nationwide. Or try calling your local restaurant directly to see if they have their own delivery service. Since you’re not spending money on a vacation, splurge a little bit and enjoy yourself.
Bonus tip: If it’s snowing, try cross country skiing in a Maryland State Park.
A staycation is a way to enjoy yourself without spending a lot of money on sleeping arrangements or airfare. While the sights might be familiar, you’ll have more money and time to spend on entertainment. Who knows you might even discover some little-known areas in your own town that will become your favorite places to visit.
Looking to move? Check out the latest Baltimore rentals.